Recess (aim for wholegrain and low-fat dairy options):
Light milk(unflavoured preferred)
Cheese slice and crackers (e.g. Vita-Weat)
Fresh fruit e.g. apple, pear or banana
Dried fruit snack pack
Vegetable sticks and hummus
SPC Crush Ups/Diced fruit (natural juice)
Wholegrain rice crackers and avocado
Raisin slice with pure fruit jam
Muesli bar e.g. Uncle Tobys Chewy
Homemade oat/muesli slice
Corn on the cob
Water is best as there is no need to give juice on a regular basis.
An insulated lunchbox and/or ice pack are preferred, especially in the heat.
1. Wholegrain sandwich or wrap with salad vegetables plus a protein option:
· Grilled chicken
· Baked beans
· Scrambled or boiled eggs
· Roast beef
· Lean ham, turkey and chicken (limit high fat options e.g. salami or mortadella)
2. Salads with vegetable options as your child desires (e.g. carrot, cucumber, lettuce and tomato) and a non-creamy dressing (e.g. lemon, soy sauce or balsamic) plus one or more of:
· Lean protein (as per sandwich options)
· Canned legumes e.g. chickpeas
· Quinoa/ couscous
· Corn/ sweet potato
· Homemade dip e.g. beetroot, avocado, hummus or eggplant
Keep in mind, children’s salads only need a few ingredients to start off with!
Cut-up sushi rolls (with cooked meats), rice paper rolls and soups (eaten from a thermos) make other great lunch options.